Tiara Rado Animal Hospital Blog
Are alternative treatments like Probiotics, CBD Oil and Laser Therapy good for pets?
If you use alternative medicine in your life, likely you want to learn more about best pet alternative medicine options. Here an overview of Probiotics, CBD or Hemp Oil, and Laser Therapy.
Just like humans, the largest immune system organ in a pet’s body is the gut. To stay healthy or get healthy, probiotics are used to support the digestive system and manage health problems.
What are probiotics? Probiotics are strains of healthy live bacteria (microbes) consumed usually with food to promote a healthy GI tract. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines probiotics as “live microorganisms, which when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host.”
Probiotics for dogs and cats are used for:
- Gastrointestinal incidents like diarrhea, constipation or vomiting.
- Inflammatory bowel disease - especially in cats.
- Ancillary benefits may include: a better coat appearance, reduction in gas or allergy symptoms, improved breath, mood and bowel functions.
What are the pros and cons of probiotics for pets?
- PRO: Other than cost, there is little downside to giving your pet probiotic supplements. Ask us about a proven pet-specific product and see if it helps.
- CON: Several studies revealed that many commercial veterinary probiotics do not contain what they claim. Talk with us about the reputable brands we use and recommend.
- PRO: There is good evidence of help in acute diarrhea associated with stress or antibiotic use.
- CON: Many benefit claims have not been clinically proven yet.
For more info, read this pet probiotics pros and cons comparison article
Hemp or CBD Oil
Hemp oil is made from hemp plants, and is sometimes confused with its notorious cousin, marijuana. However Hemp (Cannabidiol) or CBD Oil is safe, will not get pets “high,” and is legal in all 50 states.
CBD Oil for dogs and cats is used for:
- Stress & Anxiety
- Aging & Geriatric Support
- Cancer & Seizures
- Pain, Discomfort & Inflammation
- Autoimmune Support
- Hip & Joint Support
- Plus it contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and amino acids
“Our Veterinarians suggest CBD or Hemp Oil to calm anxious pets, especially cats prior to the car ride to visit us,” said Jeff Stroud, TRAH Office Manager. “We have also found it therapeutic with terminal patient care.”
What is the downside of pet CBD Hemp Oil?
Ask us for our CBD Oil recommendations for pets. Testing and standards have not caught up.
For more info, read CMD Oil story in USA Today
Our Veterinary Clinic in Grand Junction, Colorado is 100% committed to the benefits of pet physical therapy, rehabilitation and laser therapy. We are certified in canine physical rehabilitation, and equipped to provide advanced Class IV Laser Therapy treatments to help pets, service and competition animals recover from surgeries, injuries, and live more comfortably as they age.
Our state of the art Class IV Laser Therapy is clinically proven and provides surgery-free and drug-free therapeutic treatments:
- accelerates cellular function and healing
- treats tissue repair of injuries, wounds, fractures
- decreases swelling, pain and inflammation
- treats dermatological problems
We see laser therapy contributes significantly to the continuum of health for our beloved companion animals. Read more about laser therapy options at Tiara Rado Animal Hospital.
Get the pet alternative medicine answers you seek
Please contact us to discuss the best options for optional health for your pets, competition and service animals.